What is Convertkit?
This is an email marketing software designed for creators (the authors, makers, podcasters, photographers, YouTubers, teachers, artists). As they claim, they have ~20K of paying customers, send 500 million emails per month, and over $10m per year in revenue
The company has a remote team of 64 people in 53 cities with the headquarter in Boise, ID. The founder and current CEO is Nathan Barry who has been a designer, author, and blogger before he has launched Convertkit in 2013.
- Email marketing: email designer, email sign up forms, email automation
- Landing pages
- Commerce solutions for selling online products
Convertkit Email Marketing
As Convertkit states, they have a 98% delivery rate and 30% average open rate.
There are two main ways to use this email marketing tool:
Sending email broadcasts
- Use filters to choose who you want to contact.
- Write your content.
- Click send or schedule your email for later.
Sending automated emails:
- Set up the path your subscriber will take through your funnel.
- Write your content for all the emails in your series.
- Emails will send automatically based on your subscriber’s journey.
The tool offers
- A number of email templates to choose from
- Ability to build your email list with their sign up forms and landing pages
- Segmentation options (using tags automatically based on subscribers’ actions as well as creating customizable segments based on subscribers’ location, actions, etc.).
- Automated email funnels like building custom paths by connecting events, actions, and conditions
Also, Convertkit has 4 sign-up forms to use within your email campaign:
- Newsletter (Useful for building your email list with your newsletter)
- Pop up form (Exit pop-up form which let you show a form after a set time, once the reader has scrolled a particular percentage down the page, or when they show intent to leave the site)
- Delivering a freebie (Your subscriber gets some freebie, and in exchange, you get their email address)
- Blog categories (By creating a new opt-in form for different categories on your website, you can begin tagging and segmenting your readers from the moment they sign up to your email list).
Convertkit Landing Pages
Here are features of this landing pages by Convertkit:
- Over 50 landing page templates for different businesses and purposes
- Landing pages require no coding knowledge; still, you can make custom CSS changes
- Unsplash integration to easily use images for a landing page
- Landing page opt-in forms allow easy automation
- Tracking code can be easily added (Google Analytics, Facebook business IDs)
- Basic SEO options (adding SEO Title and Description)
- Responsive templates
Landing page templates available:
- Lead Magnet (your reader gets content and you get their email address)
- Coming Soon (can be used before the website is ready to go live)
- Profile (e.g. overview of your business)
- Course sign up (for launching a new online course)
This feature is for people who want to sell online without building a complicated website.
Among the products that can be sold with Convertkit are paid newsletters, ebooks, courses, presents, etc.
Sell an ebook
- Easily setting up an automated sales and follow-up funnels
- Using tags and segments to organize your audience based on their interests and then to promote online products effectively
- Using email filters not to send a promotional email to someone who already bought that product
- Integrated payment processing
Convertkit Email Automation
This tool allows automated sending emails. Particularly, it works this way:
- You get a new subscriber added to your email list.
- You add this subscriber to the group based on your goals.
- You set the rules when to email this group, which emails to send and in what sequence.
- Segment users are automatically sent needed emails.
The tool is useful for:
- Creating automated funnels
- Setting up the rules when, whom, and which emails are to send
- Customizing a subscriber’s path based on their actions and sending targeted content to the right people at the right time
- Segmenting your audience based on their customer journey
When you build the path of how emails need to be sent, you can add the following elements:
- Event (product is purchased, date occurs)
- Action (email sequence, delay, add or remove a tag)
- Condition (tag, custom field)
In a nutshell, email automation can be used in different business cases. For instance, when you sell a product or a service, when you launch a new product, when you host a webinar, and so on.
There are lots of possible integrations with ConvertKit, here are some of them:
- Wix, website platform
- Crowdcast, a webinar & live-streaming platform
- Teachable, a platform for creating online courses
- Shopify, eCommerce platform
- Pabbly, email marketing platform
- Growsurf, referral tracking software
- Typeform, creating forms and surveys
- Acuity Scheduling, a tool for scheduling
- Kajabi, an all-in-one marketing platform
And many others.
Convertkit WordPress Plugin
The company also developed a WordPress plugin. It allows inserting a lead capture form to any post or page. First, you create a form you need and then, you add it to a page with a shortcode.
The plugin also allows adding a ConvertKit landing page to WordPress.
To install this plugin and use it, you first need to have an account on ConvertKit.com.
The plans are mainly based on the number of subscribers, and when the subscription list size becomes bigger, the cost becomes higher. There are free and paid plans.
1.Free plan (up to 1000 subscribers): Unlimited landing pages & forms, sending email broadcasts, selling digital products & subscriptions
2.Creator (from $29 per month for over 1000 subscribers): free-plan options + automated funnels & sequences and ability of free migration from another tool.
3.Creator Pro (from $59 per month for over 1000 subscribers): all the features of the free and some additional advanced features (see in the section below).
Briefly, the pricing looks like this:
- 0 – 1,000 subscribers cost $29 per month
- 1,000 – 3,000 subscribers are $49 per month
- 3,000 – 5,000 subscribers are $79 per month
Moreover, the company offers a 30-day free trial for paid plans.
Convertkit Creator Pro Plan
This is a more expensive pricing plan for advanced users. This allows features like
- Subscriber scoring to identify active subscribers and passive ones who might not be interested.
- A subscriber referral system with a free Sparkloop account which allows rewarding your subscribers for referring their friends to your email list.
- Powerful deliverability reporting that allows seeing how your opens and clicks trend over time.
- Direct integration with Facebook Custom Audiences to sync ConvertKit segments directly to Facebook.
- Changing a URL is possible after an email is sent.
Yes, there is a free plan if you have less than 1000 subscribers on your email list.
The software is mostly used by the authors, makers, podcasters, photographers, YouTubers, teachers, artists.
The lowest price is $29/month for a maximum of 1,000 contacts, $49 per month for up to 3,000 subscribers or $79 monthly for a list of 5,000 contacts.
It is available for 30 days.
This is not a CRM but an email marketing tool which includes automation and a landing page builder.
“Easy to use system but they keep suspending my account so I can’t send out emails to my customers.?”
“This marketing tool is amazing and had an easy time installing and setting it up for our website. It easily integrates with most tools. Unfortunately, the one things we needed was pop-up compatible with Elementor which unfortunately did not exist”
“ConvertKit has been a great tool for my website, CELTA Helper. It has helped me to grow my email list from zero to over 1400 subscribers. Although ConvertKit is one of the pricier options, it comes with pop-ups and landing pages and is definitely the most intuitive platform I’ve found for email marketing.”
“We were collecting a lead through a form we created on ConvertKit. All of a sudden, they shut down our account. Now we can’t even export all of our contacts we collected through the form anymore. We’ve paid thousands of $ on paid ads to get the leads and they didn’t give us a choice to export them.”
Pros & Cons
- Easy to use even for complete beginners
- No extra payment for different lad campaigns
- Neat landing pages and email templates
- Not a lot of email themes
- There are cases when the company shuts down an accoun without customers being able to export contacts collected
Among the main ConvertKit competitors are Mailchimp, Drip, Mailerlite, and some other email marketing tools.
convertkit vs mailchimp
convertkit vs drip
mailerlite vs convertkit